Saturday, December 13, 2008

Blog: Writing Method

mmm Well. the comments have slowed down. One comment I have received though from various people is that the chapters are too short. I figured I should explain:
1. I think the chapters are more like long paragraphs in that they hold a partcular "scene" or series of related paragraphs and that the length fits this rather than some arbitraily imposed size
2. I trend to write in chunks of this size as time and opportunity allows, and I prefer to post once I have written a chunk.
3. I am writing primarily on my cell phone. I have a Samsung i850 with Windows Mobile on it, and I use pocket word to write when I am taking a smoke break. When I am sitting behind my office computer or with my laptop, I feel compelled to actually "work", whereas when I am sitting out side with my phone, I don't feel nearly as guilty. I also make use of the small gaps of opportunity that crop up during the day such as waiting for my daughters when I pick them up from school, waiting for others to arrive for a business meeting, when I am on the toilet or lying in bed before going to sleep or in an airplane etc. Little bits at a time, inbetween other things.

This is also why my first posts of chapters can be a little hairy. I am trying to ensure that first posts are a little better though as I realise that if I get it wrong and that is the first exposure that someone has to my story, they could stop reading right there.

On another topic, I have had one comment pointing out an inconsistency in that no metal is allowed through the gateway, so Cy and co have to remove watches etc.. but "What about the metal eyelets in their shoes,
zippers in their pants, snaps on their pants, belt
buckles. what if any of them had any metal plates
or screws in them etc."
Has this bugged anyone else?
Also, did anyone pick up on the "Iron" phobia/Sidhe thing before Cy got to War World?
Hope you are still enjoying the story...

No comments:

Post a Comment