Saturday, December 13, 2008

Blog: Comments and Colloquisms

Well, I have gotten quite a few comments on the story so far. Thank you very much to all of you who have commented, and especially to those of you who have sent suggestions for corrections. You will notice that I have applied your corrections in most cases.
Generally the comments have been very positive, which is great. I have had some questions however.
1. I know about the wife thing.. I will fix that in the next chapter (4) I realised too late that I hadn't explained it.. and will use it for a little "character development".. :-)
2. It should be obvious in the story that I am South African, so my language usage will be what I am accustomed to. For example, it is correct usage for us to say 10H00 and not 1000 hours (which to my eye looks like one thousand hours, not ten am)
3. A Bar-B-Que is a pale imitation of a braai. Just so you know !! ;-) Actually, from my experience the largest difference between the American and South African versions is that the Americans seem to cook on the flames while us South Africans like to cook over the coals. Other than that I am not sure..
4. A "moffie" is a homosexual/gay. Google Greefwald and SADF and you will find the TRC (truth and reconciliation) report on this. I would suggest though that it be read with a salt cellar in one hand. Moffie can also be used to describe someone who is slightly effeminate without actually being homosexual/gay.

Let me know if you spot other things that puzzle you or that needs correcting. I will happily explain anything that is unclear. I know that SOL has a large percentage of readers from North America who are generally less aware of practices in other countries than those of us outside the USA are of American ones..

Please keep the comments coming. All are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment